Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very tasty dish - vegetarian and filling!
- 1 medium baking potato
- 3 whole plain matzos
- 4 medium leeks, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large scallions, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, grated (or emmenthal)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bake or microwave potato until tender. Cool. Cut into 1/4" pieces. Set aside.
- Soak matzo in water for 3 minutes. Remove carefully and drain on paper towels. In a large skillet, cook and stir leeks in hot butter until tender but not browned. Add scallions. Cook 1 minute. Stir in tarragon, salt and pepper. Cool.
- Stir ricotta and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses into the leek mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Coat a 9" x 9" pan with cooking spray. In a large, flat container with sides, whisk eggs. Dip 1 1/2 matzo into the egg, coating both sides. Place the matzo into the bottom of the pan. Spread 1 cup swiss (or emmenthal) cheese over the top. Top with potato then the leek-cheese mixture. Cover with a second layer of egg-coated matzo. Top with remaining swiss (emmenthal) cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until filling is bubbling. Cool 5 minutes before cutting into serving squares.