Recipe by Dee514
A delicious vanilla/chocolate shortbread cookie. These swirled cookies look lovely on a holiday cookie tray. This recipe comes from "Great American Desserts".
For Vanilla Shortbread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb sweet unsalted butter, cold and cut into chuncks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
For Chocolate Shortbread
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 2 Tablespoons coffee crystals (if using them) to 1 teaspoon vanilla, and set aside.
- For Vanilla Shortbread: In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- With pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients until evenly distributed and the size of small crumbs.
- Stir in vanilla and mix dough, shaping with hands until it comes together to form a ball.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface, and roll until 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover rolled dough with plastic wrap and set aside.
- For Chocolate Shortbread: In ceramic or glass bowl covered with plastic wrap, heat chocolate in microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth.
- Let cool to lukewarm.
- In bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Place butter in another bowl, and beat with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla (and instant coffee, if using).
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and combine until dough forms.
- Gather dough into a disk and flatten slightly.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough until 1/4 inch thick.
- Remove plastic wrap from vanilla dough, place chocolate dough on top of vanilla.
- Using hands gently but firmly, roll both into a log.
- Wrap log in plastic wrap, and chill for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line cookie sheets with baking parchment.
- Using a sharp knife, cut chilled dough into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Arrange on prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1 inch space between each.
- Bake cookies at 325°F for about 20 minutes, or until golden around the edges.