Chocoholics unite! This one is definitely good for that chocolate fix! Created for the Ready Set Cook Summer 2004 Contest, Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup rhubarb, finely diced
- 12 fresh cherries, pits removed and cut in eight pieces each
- 6 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut, finely grated (should not be stringy)
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2-1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1Make the fruit filling by cooking the rhubarb, cherries, and honey over medium to low heat stirring as required to prevent burning until the cherries are done and the rhubarb is completely smooth (ie no obvious chunks of rhubarb) and thickened (about 5-10 minutes).
- 2Cool the filling then stir in the coconut.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 4Throughly spray a 10 inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 5Make the cream cheese filling by beating the sugar, cream cheese, egg and vanilla with an electric mixer until well combined.
- 6To make the cake batter, mix the all purpose flour, buckwheat flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- 7Sift the cocoa into the bowl with the flour mixture and combine well (this gets rid of lumps).
- 8Add the butter, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and mix with an electric mixer until smooth and a slightly lighter colour (about 4-5 minutes).
- 9Spread about half of the cake batter evenly in the bottom of the bundt pan.
- 10Spoon half of the cream cheese filling into the bundt pan staying to the center of the chocolate mixture (avoid touching the sides of the pan).
- 11Spoon the fruit filling in the center of the cream filling all the way around the pan.
- 12Top the fruit filling with the remainder of the cream filling.
- 13Cover the cream filling with the remaining cake batter and smooth out the top.
- 14Bake in a 350F oven for about 50-60 minutes or until it just starts to pull away from the side of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- 15Let the cake rest for a few minutes then turn onto cake plate and cover with a clean tea towel, allow to cool completely.
- 16Make the icing by sifting the cocoa and icing sugar together, then add the cream cheese, milk and butter.
- 17Mix with an electric mixer until smooth and slightly fluffy.
- 18Frost the cooled cake with the icing.
- 19Place about 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa in a sifter or strainer and lightly"dust" the top of the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swirled Chocolate Bundt Cake
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.0
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 90.4 mg
- Sodium 204.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 55.4 g
- Protein 6.7 g