Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Corny title, but I made this for my hungry (and very picky) boyfriend. He's Italian, and it's hard competing with his mother and grandmother when it comes to good pasta dishes. With this one though, he went for back for THIRDS!
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 8 ounces frozen broccoli florets
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, separated
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices swiss cheese, Thin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash thyme
- Bring water to a boil with 1 tsp of the olive oil. Add pasta. Cook 7 minutes, then add broccoli florets and cook another 8-10 minutes.
- Drain (reserving water)and toss with other tsp olive oil in same pot.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter at low-medium heat. Add flour and 1/2 of the milk, stirring constantly.
- Add slices of cheese, one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add remaining milk and seasonings. Stir and keep cooking for another 3-5 minutes. Add reserved water by teaspoons to reach desired consistency (thicker than milk, thinner than pancake batter.).
- Pour over pasta broccoli mix, stir to coat, and serve.
Made for Zaar Challenge: Name Game. This was wonderful, I would have never thought of making a pasta dish using swiss cheese - don't think I've ever had it before. I was able to make this gluten free and also added grilled chicken to make a quick and easy one dish meal that I served with a side salad. Also, I did not add the thyme, but added dried parsley instead. This will definitely be on my list of quick meals. Thanks for posting this VeggieHippie!
This was a really nice dish! The sauce was smooth and velvety and creamy, and went really really well with the brocolli. I didn't use any thyme at all though. I will make this again - my family devoured it! Thank you! I am updating this to give it an extra star, because over the last 2 years, it's been one of my 'go to' recipes on nights when i need something easy and delicious, with good leftovers. It's really a great recipe.
This was ok but the thyme throws the taste off. Everythin else was fine in the dish we thought.