Recipe by Scarlett516
I found this recipe in my Penzeys catalog. If you don't want to create heart-shaped patties, just shape as a loaf and cook for longer. Chili 3000 is a chili powder blend Penzeys just came out with. It's incredible! The bacon used should be streaky (regular for those in the US) bacon.
- 1 lb ground beef, ground chuck preferred
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chili, 3000
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 slices bacon, lean preferred
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with the onion, egg, and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add the breadcrumbs and spices, mix well again.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to form two 8oz. hearts. Be sure these hearts are tall so you get a full meatloaf taste, thin ones will be too much like hamburger. Form hearts with your hands if you don't have a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Trim any fatty ends on the bacon, split each strip into 2-3 pieces and place on top of each heart.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes. Don't scrape away the juice as the meatloaf is cooking or the edges will get hard.
- When finished cooking, remove from the oven, use a small spatula to clean up the edges, and serve.