Recipe by Kim127
This recipe comes from the Feb issue of Southern Living. Pretty presentation!!
Top Review by NorthwestGal
5-stars just for how easy these are. But they really are very good, so 5-stars for the overall taste, too. I used Cherry Preserves because that's all I had in my pantry. But the cream cheese filling was so good and really made this a wonderful little cookie such a treat. I would be happy to bring these to a potluck, party or any type of gathering. Thanks for such a great recipe, Kim!
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 ounces seedless raspberry preserves
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- red decorator sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Unfold the piecrusts on a lightly floured surface and roll out the fold lines.
- Cut with a 2-inch heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Reroll remaining dough and repeat with cookie cutter (should have about 46 hearts).
- Brush one side of each heart with egg white and sprinkle evenly with the sugar.
- Place pastry hearts on 2 ungreased baking sheets and bake at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove hearts to wire racks to cool.
- Stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and almond extract until well blended.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on unsugared sides of half the hearts and then spread about 1/2 teaspoon of preserves over mixture.
- Top with reamining hearts, unsugared side down.
- Microwave white chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon butter in a glass bowl on high for about 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth.
- Place mixture in a small zip lock bag, seel and then snip a tiny hole in one corner and drizzle over hearts.
- Cool completely and then sprinkle with red sugar if desired.