Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in the Valentine's Day edition of my local paper. It is very good and so pretty. Baked in heart-shaped pans this is the perfect dessert for your sweetheart! (Prep time is approximate)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 egg whites, unbeaten
- 18 maraschino cherries, well drained and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.
- Drop in shortening.
- Combine milk and cherry juice and add in a stream to dry mixture.
- Add extracts; beat two minutes.
- Add egg whites; beat two minutes.
- Add cherries and nuts; beat 2 minutes.
- Bake in two greased and floured 9-inch pans at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Frost when cool using a plain butter frosting, replacing liquid with cherry juice.
- Decorate with cup up cherries.