Denise in da Kitchen's Note:
I found this in the Valentine's Day edition of my local paper. It is very good and so pretty. Baked in heart-shaped pans this is the perfect dessert for your sweetheart! (Prep time is approximate)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 egg whites, unbeaten
- 18 maraschino cherries, well drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.
- 2Drop in shortening.
- 3Combine milk and cherry juice and add in a stream to dry mixture.
- 4Add extracts; beat two minutes.
- 5Add egg whites; beat two minutes.
- 6Add cherries and nuts; beat 2 minutes.
- 7Bake in two greased and floured 9-inch pans at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Frost when cool using a plain butter frosting, replacing liquid with cherry juice.
- 9Decorate with cup up cherries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweetheart Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3964.8
- Calories from Fat 1356
- Total Fat 150.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 3917.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 599.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 339.5 g
- Protein 61.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
maraschino cherry juice