Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from Christine's Kitchen Chronicles website. Velveting technique from instructables.com. Originally a Panda Express recipe.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons rice wine
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 1⁄2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce (optional-if you like it hot)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Whisk the egg white, cornstarch, rice wine, salt and 1 Tablespoon of oil in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the sliced chicken and stir until coated.
- Refrigerate (marinate) 30 minutes.
- Start rice cooker.
- Drain chicken in colander.
- Add 1-2 inches of water plus 1 Tablespoon oil to the skillet. Bring to a full boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Immediately add chicken strips, individually, to the almost-boiling water. Stir with slotted spoon so they don't stick together.
- Once the water comes back to a barely-bubbling simmer, cook the chicken strips for 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.
- After 1 minute, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon into the colander to fully drain.
- Put the drained strips into bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- The chicken strips are warm, fully cooked and ready to be added to your favorite stir-fry.
- Heat 1 T peanut oil in wok or skillet and stir fry veggies until crisp-tender. Add meat, pineapples and sauce and stir fry until warm.
- Serve immediately over rice.