Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This isn't "minimal-prep", but you can make a batch up and store it in the fridge for future reference. And it smells so good while simmering.... (translated from a Japanese TV cooking course)
- 1 cup soy sauce (Japanese, not Chinese)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (I use about half that)
- 1⁄2 cup sake or 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 onions (10 cm long) or 1⁄2 round onion, roughly chopped
- 1 ginger, thinly sliced (1 knob)
- 15 g cinnamon sticks (2?)
- to taste star anise (1-2 stars)
- 15 g dried orange peel
- Put all ingredients in pan, bring to boil, and simmer over low heat for approximately one hour, until liquid has reduced to about 2/3.
- Strain, cool, and store in fridge for up to one month.
- Use in same quantities as Oyster Sauce.