Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very tasty side dish, that kids of all ages adore. My nephew, who is 33 years old still asks me to make this dish whenever he sees me, after he tasted it for the first time when he was 11 years old! I think I found this recipe in a South African magazine, but I cannot remember as I have been making this for the past 30 years! ***I have updated the recipe - most of the cheese goes into the pie and a little is sprinkled over the top. I have also added microwave instructions for making white sauce
- 410 g can sweetcorn
- 354.88 ml milk
- 56.69 g flour
- 56.69 g butter
- 236.59 ml tasty cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 0.25 ml salt
- Make a white sauce with the flour, butter & milk - see note below.
- Add egg yolks, sweetcorn & salt & 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into corn mixture.
- Put into a greased ovenware dish , sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese, and bake in a 350 degree over for about half an hour until set.
- Directions for making white sauce in the microwave:.
- Place the butter in a microwave safe jug and melt on high for 45 seconds.
- Stir flour through and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Now stir in the milk a little at a time, then back in the microwave in 60 second increments, stirring in between.
- This should take 3-5 minutes dependant on the power of the microwave you are using.
Very tasty and light, worthy of both a special dinner and a normal Tuesday night. I almost gave it five stars just for the new way to make a white sauce - that was wild, and it worked!! Good Looking - you're fantastic! Made for PAC 2012
*Reviewed during PAC October 08* A good side dish for dinner or could easily be a light lunch with some salad on the side. This was one of those dishes that uses pantry and fridge staples. The recipe directions assume basic cooking skills to make a white sauce and I added the cheese to the top of the dish only.
Lovely recipe. The family loved it. I wasnt sure where to add the cheese, if it was to be in the mixture or on top, so I did both! It turned out very nicely doing it using the cheese in both the mix and the top. Nice easy recipe as a side serve to tonight's dinner. Thanks you Good Looking Cooking. Made for Adopt a Joey RECIPE SWAP #19 - August 2008 .