A very tasty side dish, that kids of all ages adore. My nephew, who is 33 years old still asks me to make this dish whenever he sees me, after he tasted it for the first time when he was 11 years old! I think I found this recipe in a South African magazine, but I cannot remember as I have been making this for the past 30 years! ***I have updated the recipe - most of the cheese goes into the pie and a little is sprinkled over the top. I have also added microwave instructions for making white sauce
- Make a white sauce with the flour, butter & milk - see note below.
- Add egg yolks, sweetcorn & salt & 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into corn mixture.
- Put into a greased ovenware dish , sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese, and bake in a 350 degree over for about half an hour until set.
- Directions for making white sauce in the microwave:.
- Place the butter in a microwave safe jug and melt on high for 45 seconds.
- Stir flour through and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Now stir in the milk a little at a time, then back in the microwave in 60 second increments, stirring in between.
- This should take 3-5 minutes dependant on the power of the microwave you are using.