1/5 Photos of Sweetcorn Fritters (Can Be Weight Watchers)
I love this recipe for its versatility. I can make it Weight Watchers friendly by reducing the oil. I can vary the amount of chilli to give it more or less heat. And it can be served with a range of sauces/ dips to add extra flavour! Despite the long list of steps, it comes together surprisingly quickly. If you make these the healthy way using less oil, make the fritters smaller so they cook quickly without browning too much before the middle is cooked through.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons nut oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced (green onions)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- sweet chili sauce, to drizzle over (optional)
- fresh coriander leaves (optional garnish)
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non-stick pan, add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2Put the sweetcorn in a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a potato masher to break down the kernels a little.
- 3Add the onion mixture, spring onions and egg to the mixing bowl.
- 4Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- 5Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir to mix. The mixture is quite runny at this stage but don't worry- it firms up nicely when cooked!
- 6Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the non-stick pan.
- 7Drop four heaped spoonfuls of the sweetcorn mixture in once the oil is hot. Flatten them using a spatula until roughly 1cm/ 1/2inch thick- do this gently so the mixture does not stick to the spatula and break up the fritter.
- 8Fry the fritters for 3-4 minutes, or until golden and crisp on the underside. Flip them using the spatula and fry the other side for 3-4 minutes until done.
- 9Remove the fritters from the pan and keep warm.
- 10Wipe the pan with kitchen paper and repeat from step 6 to cook the remaining fritters.
- 11Serve drizzled with sweet chilli sauce or your favourite sauce/ dip. You could also garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweetcorn Fritters (Can Be Weight Watchers)
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.5
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 114.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: