Recipe by Shuzbud
I love this recipe for its versatility. I can make it Weight Watchers friendly by reducing the oil. I can vary the amount of chilli to give it more or less heat. And it can be served with a range of sauces/ dips to add extra flavour! Despite the long list of steps, it comes together surprisingly quickly. If you make these the healthy way using less oil, make the fritters smaller so they cook quickly without browning too much before the middle is cooked through.
Top Review by Linky
These were so tasty! We had them with sausages on the grill and they went together very well. The chili sauce added a great touch. Made for ZWT7, Count Dracula and his Hot Bites team.
- 3 tablespoons nut oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced (green onions)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- sweet chili sauce, to drizzle over (optional)
- fresh coriander leaves (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non-stick pan, add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Put the sweetcorn in a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a potato masher to break down the kernels a little.
- Add the onion mixture, spring onions and egg to the mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir to mix. The mixture is quite runny at this stage but don't worry- it firms up nicely when cooked!
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the non-stick pan.
- Drop four heaped spoonfuls of the sweetcorn mixture in once the oil is hot. Flatten them using a spatula until roughly 1cm/ 1/2inch thick- do this gently so the mixture does not stick to the spatula and break up the fritter.
- Fry the fritters for 3-4 minutes, or until golden and crisp on the underside. Flip them using the spatula and fry the other side for 3-4 minutes until done.
- Remove the fritters from the pan and keep warm.
- Wipe the pan with kitchen paper and repeat from step 6 to cook the remaining fritters.
- Serve drizzled with sweet chilli sauce or your favourite sauce/ dip. You could also garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves.