Recipe by Nyteglori
Prized by gourmets throughout the world, sweetbreads are the thymus glands of veal, young beef, lamb and pork.
- 4 sweetbreads
- cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups stock, boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup asparagus tips, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover sweetbreads with cold water and soak for 3 to 4 hours changing the water 2 or 3 times.
- Drain and cover again with fresh cold water; heat to boiling and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from water and place on a clean towel to drain.
- Cut away bits of skin and veins with a knife, being careful not to break the sweetbreads, then cut them into 2 inch pieces.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add onions, carrots and cabbage; simmering about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until blended, then add stock.
- Stir until mixture is well blended, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add sweatbreads and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Serve garnished with asparagus tips.