Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prized by gourmets throughout the world, sweetbreads are the thymus glands of veal, young beef, lamb and pork.
- Cover sweetbreads with cold water and soak for 3 to 4 hours changing the water 2 or 3 times.
- Drain and cover again with fresh cold water; heat to boiling and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from water and place on a clean towel to drain.
- Cut away bits of skin and veins with a knife, being careful not to break the sweetbreads, then cut them into 2 inch pieces.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add onions, carrots and cabbage; simmering about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until blended, then add stock.
- Stir until mixture is well blended, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add sweatbreads and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Serve garnished with asparagus tips.