Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Too much summer squash!! I am sure you could can these in the traditional way, but I don't know how to do that and this is so easy. I've frozen the whole mix in plastic storage bags, too, with great results. I love these with almost anything...best of all in the middle of winter!!! Kids also eat this up--at one of my daughter's birthday parties, it was the first snack to go. My dad gave me the recipe, so I have no idea where it's from...
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick (or thinner, I also use crookneck and pattypans in the mix)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (I prefer red onions.)
- 1 large red bell pepper (or orange, yellow, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Mix squash, onion, and sweet pepper in a big bowl.
- Mix with salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, and ground mustard. Boil.
- Add squash mixture. Return to boiling; remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture into 2 clean pint jars. I just use tupperware.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 month or freeze forever :).
Excellent! I have NEVER pickled anything in my life, but I really wanted to try it and this was an excellent recipe to do it with. The only thing was I didnt know how to cut the red bell pepper so I just cut it into small strips and I cut the onion in half and sliced in (so I have half sliced onion slices) and that worked out really well. I put it all into a quart size jar and I have been munching on it ever since. I am definitely going to make another batch very very soon! Thanks for the recipe!
Fantastic, easy, crisp delicious pickles in no time
I can't believe I'm just getting around to rating these great pickles. I made them last year when I was being overun with zucchini and they turned out wonderful. I froze them in freezer ziplocs and they kept in the freezer great. Well here it is again "zucchini time" and I'm getting ready to make some more of these great pickles. Thanks for posting a really delicious pickle recipe.