For the lunar new year a colleague brought me some wonton that her Mother-in-law had made. At first bite I knew I wanted the recipe. She only knew the Chinese name of the wontons so I was not able to find the recipe on line. I was so happy I found this recipe which comes very close. Don't be afraid of the mint leaf; it gives it a bit of contrast. From Martin Yan.
- Combine the brown sugar, shredded coconut, dry roasted peanuts and sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Top with a mint leaf.
- Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with the lightly beaten egg.
- Fold the wrapper in half diagonally over the filling to form a triangle. Squeeze out the air; pinch the edges to seal.
- In a wok, heat the cooking oil for deep-frying to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the triangles, a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the triangles and drain on paper towels.