Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a nice sauce with a bit of kick but not too much. We have Friday night pizza night every Friday and when it got too expensive I devised this and haven't bought it again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 roasted garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large onion (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper (minced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 6 1⁄2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry basil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (red)
- Sautee onion, garlic, and red pepper in olive oil until onion and pepper is soft.
- Put into large pot.
- Add tomatoes breaking them up by squeezing with hands,through fingers, add rest of ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 40 minutes with lid tilted to let steam out but still cover pot (CAUTION, MIXTURE WILL SPIT).
- Stir every 5 minutes by removing from heat until mixture stop bubbling so as not to get "spit" on.
- Remove from heat and let mixture cool.
- Put mixture in blender and puree until lumps are all gone.
- Use immediately or refridgerate/freeze until needed. (The longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes).
This was so easy and tasted wonderful! Great on pizza and made for a yummy dipping sauce. Thank you for sharing!
Great tasting pizza sauce thats easy to make. I made this for OAMC; dividing it into 4 portions (each slightly more than a cup) for freezing. So convenient to have on hand for when the pizza craving hits!