Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw several other onion pie recipes but they had eggs as a binder, this one uses mayonnaise. It also has bacon, fresh tomato and mozzerella cheese and cheddar cheese. It can from the local news program.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 9 inches deep dish pie shells, baked according to directions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked bacon, pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl combine the cheese and mayo, mix well. Spread half the mixture into the baked pie shell, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and saute the onion slices 4-5 minutes, until translucent and soft.
- Place onion and tomatoes over the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with bacon, reserving some for garnish. Spread remaining cheese mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining bacon.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden. Let cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.