Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a yummy breakfast or brunch bread. Printed in my local newspaper last year.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large vidalia onion, halved & sliced
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; saute onion 10-15 minutes.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in milk, egg and cheese.
- Add onions.
- Pour into greased 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Topping: Sprinkle with cheese, reserved onions and poppy seeds.
- Drizzle with butter.
- bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool slightly; cut into wedges and serve warm.