Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Sweet with a bit of spice. From the Complete Low Fat, No Fat cookbook edited by Anne Sheasby.
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron, generous
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, tabletop blend
- 1 tablespoon durkee garden seasoning
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inches
- 2 turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 zucchini, sliced thin
- 14 ounces chickpeas, cooked
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 4 cups organic whole wheat couscous, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Place saffron into the boiling water to infuse.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic and chilies and cook gently for five minutes.
- Add the ground ginger, cinnamon and other spices except the saffron, and gently cook for 1 to 2 mins more.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, saffron, carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes, raisins, cover and cook 25 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, chickpeas, parsley and coriander and cook for 10 mins more.
- Prepare the couscous according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with the veggie mixture on top.