Recipe by knobbyknee
I was looking online for a good cornbread recipe and came across this one from Food Network, Sara's Secrets. It is super moist and easy to make. You can't mess it up! It is definitely a sweet cornbread. Just how I like it. Every time I make chili, this is the cornbread we have with it. NOTE: the amount of vanilla is correct-it is called Sweet Vanilla for a reason!!! We love it...hope you do too.
Top Review by Shannon Cooks
Not sure what the other reviewer is thinking - because this is awesome! I thought the amount of vanilla in this was "just right"! Mine also turned out perfectly moist and thoroughly cooked through - even in the center. Different strokes for different folks, I guess! Give this a try, you will NOT be disappointed!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, I use stone-ground
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk, I make my own using 1 1/4 Tablespoon lemon juice and enough milk to make 1 1/4 cups (let stand 5 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla with a wooden spoon.
- Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and pour the melted butter over the top of the batter. Stir just until all ingredients are moistened yet thoroughly blended; do not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch square Pyrex pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 35 to 45 minutes, until golden around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting to serve.