1/3 Photos of Sweet Tomato Relish, Canning
My Mom made this when I was a kid and I have been craving it for years. I just got in to canning and had her find the recipe for me. She got it from a neighbor years ago. I found Roma tomatoes at a farmers market for 25 cents a pound and I couldn't resist. It tastes great on steak, hot dogs, burgers, venison etc. I even pour it over cream cheese and eat it with crackers. It is sweet, be warned. There are plenty of other tomato relish recipes out there if you prefer a savory relish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Get a big pot, really big, 10 quarts or bigger.
- 2Mix ingredients together and simmer uncovered on low.
- 3The tomatoes will break down on their own, but you can use a potato masher and/or immersion blender if a very smooth relish is desired.
- 4Stir often, it can burn on the bottom. Stir with a spatula to help prevent sticking and burning.
- 5Reduce until it reaches the consistency of applesauce. It will turn a nice dark red and be somewhat translucent. The recipe said 2-3 hours, I cooked it for 6.
- 6To preserve, ladle relish in to prepared, hot jars leaving at least 1/4 inch head space.
- 7Process in boiling water bath for 20 minute (adjust for altitude).
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Tomato Relish, Canning
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 100
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.8
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 288.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 33.6 g
- Protein 0.4 g