1/1 Photo of Sweet Tomato Chutney
2 hrs 5 mins
From 'An Invitation to Indian Cooking' by Madhur Jaffrey. This is one of Madhur Jaffrey's favorite sweet chutneys, she always spoons out a small bowl for all her dinner parties. It goes with almost all foods and is very popular. Store, bottled, in the refrigerator. It keeps for months.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head garlic, peeled,coarsely chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger, about 2 inches long,1 inch thick and 1 inch wide,peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (or 2 lbs fresh tomatoes if they taste like a tomato should)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (personal preference)
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 1Put the chopped garlic, ginger and 1/2 cup of the vinegar into the container of an electric blender and blend at high speed until smooth.
- 2In a 4-quart, heavy-bottomed pot with non-metallic finish, place the tomatoes and juice from the can, the rest of the vinegar, the sugar, salt and cayenne pepper (or, if you prefer, add the cayenne at the end, a little at a time, stirring and tasting as you do so).
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Add puree from blender.
- 5Lower heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until chutney becomes thick.
- 6(A film should cling to a spoon dipped in it.) Stir occasionally at first, and more frequently later as it thickens.
- 7You may need to lower the heat as the liquid diminishes.
- 8You should end up with 2 1/2 cups of chutney, and it should be atleast as thick as honey after it cools.
- 9If the canned tomatoes you used have a lot of liquid in them, a longer cooking time may be required, resulting in a little less chutney.
- 10Add the almonds and the raisins.
- 11Simmer, stirring, another 5 minutes.
- 12Turn heat off and allow to cool.
- 14Keep refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Tomato Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (1623 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.4
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1431.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 149.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 134.2 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: