Recipe by Chef Jean
This is a southern dish that I serve with breakfast or brunch. Cut the bread and onion the night before to save some time in the morning. This recipe makes enough to serve a large group, but is easy to scale down. The can of tomatoes wouldn't come up on the recipe, but I use a #10 can, 6lbs, 6oz, the largest one there is.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups stale bread, 1/2 inch cubes (Italian, Cuban or Hoagie rolls work best)
- 1 lb butter
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 (102 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, drained (#10 can, 6lb, 6oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush the tomatoes into bite sized pieces. ( I leave them in the stainer and squeeze by hand until they are broken up to small enough pieces.).
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan, then add the onions, cook until softened.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and transfer to a large baking dish. (I use a half hotel pan.).
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let cool for about 1 0minutes before serving.