Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Not a spicy dish like the other Texas Caviars out there, so I'm calling it 'sweet' due to the sugar. I got this from a friend several years ago and it has been a family favorite ever since. My brother-in-law goes crazy over it. It's a great party or potluck food. We always serve it on Fritos 'scoops', but tortilla chips would work, too.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium yellow onions or 1 medium vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can white shoepeg corn
- 2 -3 dashes salt (optional)
- 2 -3 dashes pepper (optional)
- 1 bag Fritos corn chips, 'scoops'
- Rinse the canned items.
- Chop the veggies.
- Mix everything together and let marinade 2 or more hours. (Overnight is best.)
- Serve on Fritos'Scoops'. (or other chip.)
- This dip is great for parties as it can sit out for several hours without refrigeration.
This was the exact recipe I was looking for! It's great, our whole family loves it.
This is an excellent recipe. I add one or two cans of drained Rotel tomatoes for more of a kick. I also reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup.
This is a very similar recipe to the one my mom makes - although the combination of beans and sugar might sound a little strange, it's to die for!