Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For the perfect summer refreshment, turn to sweet tea. This has a splash of rum and a hint of lime juice. Garnish with watermelon and mint for a great looking glass. The cook time is chill time.
- 6 cups water
- 8 black tea bags, such as Earl Grey
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark rum, such as Bacardi, chilled (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- ice cube
- 2 cups club soda, chilled
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- lime wedge
- fresh mint sprig
- In a small saucepan bring 3 cups of the water to boiling. Remove from heat. Add tea bags; let steep for 10 minutes. Discard tea bags. Transfer tea to a heatproof pitcher.
- Stir brown sugar into tea until dissolved. Stir in the remaining 3 cups water, the rum, and lime juice. Cover and chill for 2 to 48 hours.
- To serve, pour tea mixture into highball glasses over ice cubes. Slowly pour in club soda; stir gently. Garnish with watermelon and lime wedges on toothpicks , and mint leaf or sprig.
Made for company and everyone thought it was very unusual and so refreshing. Loved that it used watermelon, which we are swimming in right now. Will make again for sure.
First I only used 1 cup of rum. Second what a refreshing after dinner drink, after painting all the shutters on my house. I wanted to stop half way through, to try this, but I know that it wouldn't get done. The watermelon flavor really comes out nicely too. All in all very refreshing as this evening the neighbor and I sipped down a couple of these during the football game. We were satisfied with the results. Made for Holiday Tag.