Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Sweet, Tart, and Spicy Shrimp and Cucumber Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 lbs Persian cucumbers (about 8) or 2 lbs japanese cucumbers (about 8)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup lightly dry roasted salted peanut
- 1 lb cooked deveined peeled medium shrimp
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 3 green onions, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup torn fresh Thai basil or 1⁄2 cup regular basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, toasted
- For dressing: Whisk all dressing ingredients to blend in small bowl; let dressing stand while preparing salad.
- For salad: Peel half of cucumbers; cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with small spoon. Cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 2 cups) and place in large strainer set over bowl.
- Cut off ends from remaining cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Cut halves crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 1/2 to 3 cups); add to strainer. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; let drain 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add peanuts; sauté until golden. Using slotted spoon, transfer peanuts to paper towel to drain.
- Combine shrimp, cabbage, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, and basil in large bowl.
- Pat cucumber pieces dry and add to salad. Toss with dressing; sprinkle with peanuts and black sesame seeds.