Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was given to me by a dear friend from the Phillipines. She said it was a traditional snack or dessert that she grew up with in her small village. I really like it, though it is definitely sticky so I eat it with a fork on a plate, rather than with my hands.
- 3 cups glutinous rice
- 2 (400 ml) cans coconut milk
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup toasted shredded sweetened coconut
- Cook rice, then set aside.
- Boil coconut milk in a deep pan or wok, until it is about 1/2.
- Add cooked rice and mix well. This takes a bit of time.
- Then add brown sugar and mix well. The rice mixture should be fairly dry.
- Pat down in a 9 X 12 pan.
- Add sesame seeds and coconut.
- Cool slightly and cut into serving pieces. Leave in the pan.
- For leftovers, place in refrigerator or freezer.
- Microwave each piece for about 1 minute to soften.
- Cooking time includes cooking of rice - about 20 minutes.
- Glutinous rice is also called sticky rice, sweet rice, waxy rice, botan rice, biroin chal, mochi rice, and pearl rice.