Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a real change of pace.
- 8 cups star fruit, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Wash and thinly slice star fruit, taking care to remove seeds. Cover with cider by vinegar and allow to stand overnight.
- Drain off vinegar. Combine star fruit with sugar and salt. Add cloves; which have been placed in a cheesecloth bag and lightly pounded.
- Cook gently to the consistency of preserves.
- Allow to stand overnight. Remove spice bag and reheat mixture to boiling.
- Pack into hot pint jars. Wipe jar mouths and adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
- *Note: when making for long term storage it is probably best to omit the nutmeg if you do not want a dark relish, although it certainly adds to the flavor.