Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very light and sweet salad, no oil is used in this recipe. The cayenne pepper gives the sweet dressing a little heat and the lemon zest adds some tartness.
- 7 ounces Baby Spinach, rinse and pat dry
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, not packed in oil, cut into matchstick lengths
- 1 1⁄2 cups asiago cheese, shaved
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (I used strawberry flavor zinfandel )
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt or pepper
- Combine the first five ingredients in large serving bowl and toss lightly.
- In small bowl combine remaining ingredients for dressing and stir until honey has dissolved. Can pour over entire salad or serve on the side and apply to each individual salad bowl.
- If you want to wilt the spinach a little, you can warm the dressing up before adding it to the salad.
- Garnish with additional shaved Asiago cheese.
This was just okay. I left out the pecans for the nut-haters in the house; I'm sure they would have made it better, but still not great. I can see how others might really like it, it just didn't do it for us.
I used dried strawberries in place of fresh. (I never buy fresh strawberries out of season.) I reduced the cheese to 1/2 cup and the same with the sun-dried tomatoes. The flavor combination is delicious but the balance of flavors is off considerably. That shouldn't stop you from trying the salad. It didn't stop me. cg 4 stars for flavor and color.
This was really good, I used dried cranberries instead of strawberries and only used a small amount of the cheese as the previous reviewer said. It was really good. Thanks for posting