Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes. It was given to me by my aunt and I think of her and smile every time I make it. I recently tweaked the recipe to give it more protein with the addition of red kidney beans, quinoa & wheat berries. The chipotle pepper was my husband's contribution to give it more heat, but still let the intriguing sweetness come through. I love how my kitchen smells when I'm cooking this!
- 1 lb ground turkey, 93/7
- 1⁄2 cup wheat berries, raw
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, raw
- 31 ounces red kidney beans
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 16 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped with spoonful of sauce
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, ground
- olive oil flavored cooking spray, 10 sprays
- Cook wheat berries & quinoa according to package directions; set aside.
- Heat dutch oven over medium heat; spray with 2 sprays olive oil cooking spray. Add garlic & saute; remove from pan.
- Spray with remaining 8 sprays; add turkey and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serving size is 1 cup of chili.