1/1 Photo of Sweet & Spicy Taco Salad
I love taco salad but I hate buying those packets of taco seasoning from the store. Half the ingredients are things I can't even pronounce and the other half are spices that almost everyone keeps in the pantry. After tweaking this recipe a bit, I think I found the perfect balance of sweet with a gentle heat. I prefer to use lean ground pork but beef would work just fine. Just make sure you drain the extra grease.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g ground lean pork
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 small onion
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 4.92-9.85 ml crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how much heat you like)
- 118.29-177.44 ml Catalina dressing
- 2.46-4.92 ml cayenne pepper sauce (I like Frank's original)
- 354.36 g bag nacho cheese flavor Doritos
- 473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 946.36 ml lettuce, chopped or shredded (about 1/2 a head)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- 2Add pork, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook until pork is no longer pink.
- 3Add Catalina dressing and hot sauce. Taste sauce and adjust sweet/spicy to taste.
- 4Raise heat to HIGH and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Crush Doritos on a plate (I normally plate this individually but you could serve family style on a platter as well), top with meat mixture, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Garnish as desired.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Spicy Taco Salad
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1193.2
- Calories from Fat 772
- Total Fat 85.8 g
- Saturated Fat 29.8 g
- Cholesterol 158.9 mg
- Sodium 1509.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 41.7 g