Recipe by Bekah49036
I love taco salad but I hate buying those packets of taco seasoning from the store. Half the ingredients are things I can't even pronounce and the other half are spices that almost everyone keeps in the pantry. After tweaking this recipe a bit, I think I found the perfect balance of sweet with a gentle heat. I prefer to use lean ground pork but beef would work just fine. Just make sure you drain the extra grease.
Top Review by happynana
This made us a very nice lunch today. I did make a few modifications. I used 1 tablespoon of butter and I drained off the grease of the pork. I used 3/4 cup of the catalina dressing. Next time I think I would add fritos instead of the nacho chips. Made for Spring PAC 2009.
- 453.59 g ground lean pork
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 small onion
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 4.92-9.85 ml crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how much heat you like)
- 118.29-177.44 ml Catalina dressing
- 2.46-4.92 ml cayenne pepper sauce (I like Frank's original)
- 354.36 g bag nacho cheese flavor Doritos
- 473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 946.36 ml lettuce, chopped or shredded (about 1/2 a head)
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- sour cream (optional)
- black olives (optional)
- jalapeno (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add pork, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook until pork is no longer pink.
- Add Catalina dressing and hot sauce. Taste sauce and adjust sweet/spicy to taste.
- Raise heat to HIGH and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Crush Doritos on a plate (I normally plate this individually but you could serve family style on a platter as well), top with meat mixture, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Garnish as desired.