Recipe by Bekah49036
I love taco salad but I hate buying those packets of taco seasoning from the store. Half the ingredients are things I can't even pronounce and the other half are spices that almost everyone keeps in the pantry. After tweaking this recipe a bit, I think I found the perfect balance of sweet with a gentle heat. I prefer to use lean ground pork but beef would work just fine. Just make sure you drain the extra grease.
Top Review by happynana
This made us a very nice lunch today. I did make a few modifications. I used 1 tablespoon of butter and I drained off the grease of the pork. I used 3/4 cup of the catalina dressing. Next time I think I would add fritos instead of the nacho chips. Made for Spring PAC 2009.
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how much heat you like)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup Catalina dressing
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce (I like Frank's original)
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) bag nacho cheese flavor Doritos
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups lettuce, chopped or shredded (about 1/2 a head)
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- sour cream (optional)
- black olives (optional)
- jalapeno (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add pork, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook until pork is no longer pink.
- Add Catalina dressing and hot sauce. Taste sauce and adjust sweet/spicy to taste.
- Raise heat to HIGH and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Crush Doritos on a plate (I normally plate this individually but you could serve family style on a platter as well), top with meat mixture, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Garnish as desired.