Montana Heart Song's Note:
This is a tropical seasoned rice, using Jamaican Jerk seasoning and other spices for subtle spicy taste and aromatic. Kids love it. Wonderful served with baked fish or chicken, or cold with milk. Hubby likes it that way. You can add or decrease spices. There is also additions for a show stopper salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups raw rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered dried lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon jamaican jerk spice
- 3 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packet raisins (optional)
- 2 -3 cups whipped topping
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1Add water to saucepan, rice cooker or microwave rice cooker.
- 2Add all of the spices.
- 3Heat the water. Stir.
- 4Add the rice, raisins and coconut.
- 5Cook covered until all water is absorbed.
- 6Once the heat is up to simmer, cover and cook on low heat. 20 to 25 minutes on stove top.
- 7Microwave: 20 minutes at 70% power, then high power for 6 to 8 minutes.
- 8Rice Cooker: Follow Instructions.
- 9For Salad: Chill rice, then add crushed pineapple and whipped topping, fold in and serve. Salad will serve 12 to 15 servings.
- 10Serve cold with milk or vanilla ice cream on top individual serving dishes or hot with a little margarine.
- 11Note: Use 1 1/4 tsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning if you want it spicier. Use 1 1/4 teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice if you want more cinnamon and anise taste.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Spicy Rice Jamaican Style
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.7
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 41.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder
jamaican jerk spice