Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This is a tropical seasoned rice, using Jamaican Jerk seasoning and other spices for subtle spicy taste and aromatic. Kids love it. Wonderful served with baked fish or chicken, or cold with milk. Hubby likes it that way. You can add or decrease spices. There is also additions for a show stopper salad.
- 2 cups raw rice
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered dried lemon peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon jamaican jerk spice
- 3 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packet raisins (optional)
- 2 -3 cups whipped topping
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Add water to saucepan, rice cooker or microwave rice cooker.
- Add all of the spices.
- Heat the water. Stir.
- Add the rice, raisins and coconut.
- Cook covered until all water is absorbed.
- Once the heat is up to simmer, cover and cook on low heat. 20 to 25 minutes on stove top.
- Microwave: 20 minutes at 70% power, then high power for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Rice Cooker: Follow Instructions.
- For Salad: Chill rice, then add crushed pineapple and whipped topping, fold in and serve. Salad will serve 12 to 15 servings.
- Serve cold with milk or vanilla ice cream on top individual serving dishes or hot with a little margarine.
- Note: Use 1 1/4 tsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning if you want it spicier. Use 1 1/4 teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice if you want more cinnamon and anise taste.