1/1 Photo of Sweet & Spicy Glazed Buttermilk Meatloaf
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Panko bread crumbs really make the difference here. When the Panko is soaked with the buttermilk, it forms a squishy texture that is different from regular bread crumbs. The meatloaf will have a light consistency while, at the same time, a rich flavor from the buttermilk. Panko is Japanese breadcrumbs and available in most grocery stores. Note: Leftovers make great meatloaf sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Glaze
For the Meatloaf
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs, Japanese bread crumbs
- 1 cup whole-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup small-diced onion
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, ground round works best
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Heat oven to 425 degrees (F).
- 2Combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and place over low heat.
- 3Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, don't brown. Add parsley, basil and tomato paste and cook for about a minute. Set aside to cool.
- 4In a small bowl, combine Panko and buttermilk, let this set for 5 - 10 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, in a large bowl, place beef, pork, cheese, salt and pepper, the onion/garlic mixture and the Panko/buttermilk mixture. Mix with your hands until combined.
- 6In a 13x9x2 rimmed baking pan, form the mixture into a loaf center of the pan, don't touch the sides of the pan. Brush sides and top with some glaze, then bake for 75 minutes, brush on more glaze after 45 minutes. Keep the leftover glaze warm and stir occasionally.
- 7After baking, remove the meatloaf from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes; then slice and serve hot with leftover glaze as a sauce.
Browse Our Top Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Spicy Glazed Buttermilk Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.7
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 90.5 mg
- Sodium 808.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 27.8 g