Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a great end of the summer treat. Use pickling cucumbers for this recipe and let them marinate for at least 4 days....the longer they sit the spicier and more garlicy they'll be. Plan ahead to account for the marinating time of 1-4 days. Adapted from Cooking Light, May 2003
- 2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
- 1 cup thinly sliced vidalia onions or 1 cup other sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 whole dried red chilies
- 16 slices fresh tomatoes (1/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Arrange half of the cucumber in a 9-inch pie plate; top with half of the onion and repeat procedure with remaining cucumber and onion.
- Combine vinegar through red chiles in a small pan and bring to a boil, cook 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber and onions; cover and let marinate in fridge for 1-4 days, preferably 4 days for the best flavors.
- Arrange tomato slices on a platter; sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper.
- Remove cucumber mixture from marinade with a slotted spoon and arrange over tomato slices.
Thanks for a great recipe.Linda