Recipe by Merry Cook
After a shopping trip to Costco I had an over abundance of English cucumbers and red bell peppers so I came up with this recipe. I love things that are sweet, tangy, and spicy so it seemed like the natural thing to make. This has become a favorite of mine and a big hit among friends & family!
Top Review by Maito
These cucumbers are very good and a bit spicy. I only made half the dressing, but probably needed just 1/4 of what the recipes calls for. We didn't want this to be too sweet, so I added only 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, which was just right for us.
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced very thin
- 1 table spoon salt
- 1⁄4 onion, sliced very thin
- 1⁄4 fresh red bell pepper, sliced very thin (don't use green bell pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 1⁄8 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar (honey, Splenda, or jam will also work)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mongolian hot oil (or just add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine sliced cucumber + 2 tablespoons of salt and set aside.
- Slice onion and bell pepper and place in a separate bowl. To this bowl add the ingredients for the dressing and stir to combine.
- Rinse the cucumber under cold water and drain.
- Combine cucumbers, onion, pepper and dressing and stir to coat veggies then store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.