Recipe by Hil-Billy
I created this recipe for the contest using some leftover chicken and rice. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It is a fun, colorful and delicious meal that is easy to prepare but tastes like it took a long time! (and it's not super spicy either!)
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was really, really good. These are huge, restaurant sized portions - I was able to feed 4. I felt like I was sitting down to eat someplace like The Rainforest Cafe - this seems like the kind of dish that would fit in well there. I loved the combination of ingredients and it was very easy to make. The leftovers tasted great heated up and rolled in a flour tortilla with some extra sour cream. Note: I omitted the sugar and added adobo with the salt. Hil-Billy is my sister, but since we live very far apart, it is awfully nice to come to Recipezaar and try out her recipes across the miles. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 small banana, sliced longways and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and halved
- 2 small chicken breasts, pre-boiled (or left over refrigerated chicken)
- 1⁄8 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups left-over basmati rice or 2 cups jasmati rice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon smart balance margarine (or butter)
- 3 -4 pinches cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 3⁄4 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 dashes sea salt
- table salt
- light sour cream, as a topping
- 2 -8 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove pre-boiled chicken breasts from fridge.
- Season with sea salt, 3 pinches of cumin and 4 grinds of fresh black pepper and slice thinly.
- Heat 1/2 tbs oil on med heat in a large frying pan and add garlic.
- Brown garlic slightly (do not caramelize).
- Add chicken and zucchini and almost all of the paprika and another 1/2 tbs oil; add adobo and sugar sprinkling on entire mixture and stirring in gently -- let it brown, flip and sprinkle the other side.
- Cook on med heat, flipping regularly until slightly browned, slide chicken and zucchini to one side and then add banana slices.
- Continue to cook on med heat turning bananas until browned; remove from heat and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan, heat and then stir in corn.
- Dash with remaining paprika.
- turn up the heat slightly (in between high and med).
- Add margarine and a few cracks of fresh pepper.
- Brown corn stirring every so often (it will start to make a popping sound).
- Add sweet red pepper for color.
- Stir in rice and water and cook until hot, stirring constantly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Return chicken mixture to pan to heat.
- Divide rice mixture onto two plates and top with chicken mixture add a dallop of sour cream to each.
- Serve immediately with warm greens of your choice (I prefer kale with this dish).