1/1 Photo of Sweet & Spicy Chocolate Gravy
Chocolate gravy? Well in all my born days! We’ve all slathered our pancakes with sweet maple syrup, smeared our toast with Nutella, and peanut-buttered-and-jellied our bread, right? Well then there’s no reason why you have not chocolafied your gravy! If it sounds too weird, think of it like hot pudding, or a sweet Béchamel sauce – all gone cuckoo for cocoa. I promise you, tasting homemade chocolate gravy may bring you one step closer to gravy utopia. Chocolate gravy is a nearly forgotten southern tradition believed to have originated in the homes of the Appalachian Mountains and Deep South, and perhaps even as old as the 16th-17th century. I've created this spicy rendition by studying many coveted chocolate gravy family recipes and added a little 'kick'. Perfect for a cold winter morning, a family breakfast, or a quick wake-up call accompanied by a nice cup of hot coffee or tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (more or less)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar (granulated also works just fine)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter (or bacon fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper (2-3 generous dashes, depending on your spicy preference)
- 1Heat skillet or sauce pan over medium-low heat, add butter or bacon fat until melted.
- 2Sprinkle in flour slowly and whisk until smooth.
- 3Add chocolate and sugar, whisk until fully blended; cook 1-2 minutes, careful to not burn.
- 4Slowly add milk, whisk continuously to prevent lumps.
- 5Add vanilla, salt, and cayenne.
- 6Cook a few minutes until gravy thickens. Whisk in more milk for a thinner gravy.
- 7Serve over fresh buttered biscuits, pancakes, crumpets, toast, bacon, eggs (just about anything)!
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Spicy Chocolate Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.5
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.2 mg
- Sodium 247.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 26.2 g
- Protein 5.9 g