Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a delicious chili recipe whipped up yesterday in defense of the winter cold. It is a bit non-traditional, in that it uses sausage for the meat.
- 2 lbs mild Italian sausage
- 15 1⁄2 ounces canned black beans
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces canned pinto beans
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup chopped poblano pepper
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- Partially brown the sausage in a separate pan, some of it will still be pink, and drain the excess moisture/grease.
- In a large soup pot, over high heat, add sausage, tomatoes, beans, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium.
- While this boils, chop the peppers. (I used 2 poblanos, and 3 small bell peppers.).
- Add these to the pot as well. Stir thoroughly, add cocoa.
- Lower heat to simmer, about 1.5-2 hours, uncovered.
- The mixture should thicken.
- Taste, and add more chili powder if desired.
Another great recipe!!! Made this for Fall PAC Orphanage 2012 and it was quite delicious. I used turkey italian sausage and added some minced onion and garlic (two items I always love and use in chili) cut the recipe down for DH and I but otherwise used the ingredients listed and followed the instructions. Definately a keeper. Thank you for posting. Made this also for the Diabetic Forum Makeover.