Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
Sweet & Spicy Hot Wings done in the oven not fried
- 1 1⁄2 cups soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4 1/2 lb) package chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons favorite hot sauce
- crushed cayenne pepper (optional)
- dried minced onion flakes (optional)
- combine soy sauce, brown sugar, minced ginger, veggie oil, garlic powder and hot sauce in a large (gallon sized ziplock freezer) bag.
- If you buy the whole wings, separate the drumette from the forearm and then discard the very tip to the wing.
- Put the chicken wings into the bag once separated and seal the bag.
- rotate the bag so that all the wings get covered in the sauce and let marinade in the frig for at least 4 hours turning the bag every hr and a 1/2.
- Once the marinade is done, preheat the oven to 350 deg.
- pour the contents of the bag into a 13x9 baking dish or pan and make sure to arrange the wings to where they are as flat as possible.
- Take the crushed cayenne pepper powder and light dust the wings.
- Sprinkle with the dried minced onion flakes
- Cover dish and bake for 45-50 minute.
- Turn the wings over in the dish making sure to spoon some sauce over the wings, and bake for another 50 minutes.
- These have just the right sweetness along with the right spiciness to offset each other.
- I served this along with some oriental flavored ramen noodles. If you want you can use low-sodium soy sauce. I used the regular and it turned out great and very tender.