Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was inspired by Hawaiian Chicken Chili, but went crazy while making it again and changed it up quite a bit. I won 2nd place and the "Most Original" title in a local Chili Cook-off with this recipe. For best flavor, make this the night before serving, so it can marinate. Note that we are not big meat-eaters, so if you like more meat, you should certainly add some. I also left this at a mild-spicy level, since I figured it would be easier for you heat-lovers to taste it as-is and add more as needed.
- 4 chicken tenderloins
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can no-sugar-added pineapple tidbits, in 100% juice, no sugar added
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 28 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 6 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 12 ounces chicken broth (or 12 ounces water with 1 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 1⁄2 ounce chili seasoning mix
- chili powder, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare a large pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Saute the chicken, and when almost cooked through, add garlic, onion, and bell pepper.
- Once chicken is cooked through, pull it out and shred it before returning it to the pot.
- Pour in the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple, reserving the tidbits for later use.
- Add kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, broth, chili seasoning, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready, reheat on stovetop over medium low.
- Stir in cinnamon.
- Serve with pineapple tidbits on the side.
Made this with ground turkey meat and it was wonderful. I did omit the pineapple bits but used some pineapple juice that I had on hand. I used Kittencal's Chili Seasoning Mix in place of store brought chili mix omitted the cinnamon only because I forgot to put it in. It was still delicious! Made Bread Machine Bread Bowls to serve this in. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious! With the approval of the chef, Starrynews, I used MINCED chicken instead of chicken tenderloins, as I had minced chicken handy! I have ALWAYS loved the combo of fruit and savoury, one reason I love Moroccan food and tagines so much! This was wonderful - I made is as posted with the exception of the tenderloins and I did not have a red pepper either! My tinned pineapples were very small bits and they sort of dissolved, but that made the flavour even more amazing! I liked the taste of cinnamon, but then I like fruit, spices and savoury as a flavour combo. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag game - loved this, thanks! FT:-)
This is so yummy. I do have to admit that I think I prefer it without the cinnamon. The cinnamon seemed to overpower the other delicious flavors in this chili. Next time I'm leaving it out. We really enjoyed the sweet taste of this. I cut the recipe in half and because I had extra pineapple juice I was able to add it to the chili. I think I was tasting it too much because I was running out of the juice. :) Thanks for posting.