Recipe by Apprentice Colleen
Chipotle, honey, and maple syrup combine to make this tasty dish! Adapted from Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats Cookbook
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, 1/4 finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders or 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (such as Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 tablespoon ground dried chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup real maple syrup
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup raw cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt the butter into 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil. Add the chopped onion and cook 2 minutes, then add rice and cook 3 minutes more. Add the stock and cover the pot. Raise the heat to bring the stock to a rapid boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (about 30 minutes).
- While rice is cooking, make the chicken. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add remaining vegetable oil (2 Tbsp), then chicken, season with grill seasoning. Lightly brown chicken on both sides, move to one side of the pan. Add remaining onion (slices), garlic and bell peppers and cook 2-3 minutes. Mix vegetables and meat and add chipotle and cumin. Toss to coat. Glaze with honey and maple syrup and turn off heat. Add cilantro.
- Top rice with chicken and vegetables and serve. Serves 4 (or more).