Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I prefer all-in-one meals, and this absolutely fits the bill. Drink it with a glass of milk and you've covered every food group. It's sweet, sour, and spicy all at the same time, and freezes well. It doesn't hurt that it's good for you. This makes four big servings.
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon stir-fry sauce with garlic and ginger
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain and set aside.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in skillet and saute onion and peppers until tender. Stir in water chestnuts, pineapple, soy sauce, garlic-ginger sauce, and spices. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Stir in cooked rice.
DH and I enjoyed this but the kiddos did not. I wasn't sure if it was suppossed to be fresh grated ginger or ground, so I used ground ginger to taste. You weren't kidding when you said 4 large servings, we have enough left over for DH and I to have for lunch tomorrow. Thanks