Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful recipe that is similar to the rice and bean dish that was served at Houston's.
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice (cooked as directed on package)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans baked beans
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- While rice is cooking, heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add beans, chilies and taco seasoning mix; mix well.
- Cook just until mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked rice; mix well.
- Spoon into serving dish; serve with sour cream and cheese, if desired.
Wonderful quick side dish to put together on a very hot summer day! I used a regular whole small onion in place of the red, and added in some fresh minced garlic also. I'm thinking that the next time I make it, I will add in some ground beef to make it a complete meal. This dish was wonderful served with grilled burgers, thank you Chris from Kansas for sharing!....Kitten:)