Prep 3 mins
Cook 17 mins
A delicately flavoured sweet rice which is a perfect finale to any meal. It is SO easy to make and also very quick as it uses a microwave. As an added bonus it is also low fat!
- 2⁄3 cup basmati rice
- 1 2⁄3 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon ghee or 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods (peeled)
- 1 pinch saffron
- 7 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 50 g raisins or 50 g currants
- almonds (to garnish)
- Wash rice three to four times in cold water, until the water you drain from it runs almost clear. Drain well and put in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Cover with the boiling water.
- Add all the other ingredients, except the garnish, and stir well.
- Microwave uncovered on full power for 17 minutes. Don't disturb during cooking time.
- If rice seems undercooked add a little more water and cook for a further 1 or 2 minutes.
- Cover tightly and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir and fluff lightly with a fork.
- Garnish and serve!
This was an easy recipe and suprised me by cooking entirely in the microwave. I will definitely be using this recipe again this summer when I don't want to heat up the kitchen. The rice was well seasoned and very pretty. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Reviewed for Pick A Chef Spring 2007.