Top Review by nomnom
Swordfish was on sale this week, so we picked up 2 steaks (enough for 4 people - they're HUGE!) and I, naturally, consulted *Zaar for a quick marinade/rub recipe specifically for swordfish. I decided to use fresh ginger and fresh garlic cloves (I had to get rid of them). I only had 1 tbsp left of fresh ginger, so I also added 1/8 tsp ginger powder (2 tbsp fresh = 1/4 tsp ground). I used two fresh cloves garlic (1 clove = 1/8 tsp powder). I minced them and whizzed all ingredients (using fresh cracked black pepper and splenda) in my mini cuisinart. We GRILLED ours (no need for oil - so we omitted) with lemon slices on top. They tasted ginger-y, but not overpowering. Very subtle. Personally, I enjoy BOLD flavors, so I'd suggest doubling (or even tripling) the recipe and rubbing both sides thoroughly. We served this simply with grilled veggies and corn. For my own piece, I liberally squeezed lemon and cracked black pepper all over the top to create a crust (hey, I said I like BOLD flavors ;) All in all, it was good and worth using up m leftover fresh ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) swordfish steaks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine spices in small bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over swordfish steaks, then lightly rub it in.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high (maintain this heat throughout cooking).
- Add fish and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until fish is no longer translucent in center.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately.